Sunday, July 02, 2006

Summer '06 movies part one

So far this summer I have seen four movies with a few more planned. A quick list plus my commentary, as usual, follows:

"An Inconvenient Truth": I saw this in Seattle (OK, Bellevue) a couple weeks ago, but even if I had not seen it in one of the most environmentally friendly metro areas in the nation among a very receptive audience, I would still think it was a good film and one that should be seen by every thinking citizen. Yes, Al Gore is on a mission -- and it is not just to curb global warming (more on that below). Yes, it is a slick presentation that cherry-picks information to bolster its case. But, it is a compelling argument and it appears more than just post hoc ergo propter hoc that the rise in the planet's temperature correlates to the increase in emissions by automobiles and the decline of planetary vegetation. It's at least worth a look for argument's' sake. Don't dismiss it out of hand as a liberal viewpoint. Conservatives like to live here, too. Rating: Pay full price.

By the way, is Al Gore running for president? Oh, heck yeah. I am convinced this is the first of many events planned to launch a third presidential campaign for Gore, one that could cause a whole lot of problems for Democrats. I have some more detailed opinions on Gore and others trying to take over the White House come January 2009, but this is a post about movies. Anyway, he is running. Even if he says he is not, he will run because someone will beg him to.

"Superman Returns": I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. Story is decent, keeping in mind that any comic-book transfer has to have an inordinate amount of back story. I am not sure why it was necessary here -- we all know Jor El sent his son to Earth to escape the destruction of Krypton, and little Kal El landed in Kansas, where he was raised by framers as Clark Kent who, with sun-powered special abilities, later became a reporter at the Daily Planet. The acting is swell, especially Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. The details are amusing, and any longtime super-fan will see a few little gems for them among the scenery. But the special effects seem sort of ho-hum, especially after the amazing things we saw in "Spider-Man" and the fascinating things we got in last summer's "Batman Begins." I guess I just expected a bit more from the Man of Steel. Where "Spider-Man" goes campy and succeeds, "Superman Returns" seems overly earnest and falls a bit short. It's a tough tighrope to walk as a comic book film, and this one fell off. Rating: Matinee.

"A Prairie Home Companion": With a cast that contains Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly, Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones, Virginia Madsen and, yes, Lindsay Lohan, I knew this would be a good flick. I was surprised at how entertaining the Garrison Keillor screenplay turned out to be. It was a delight. And Robert Altman's directing is simply masterful. Watch how he uses mirrors and conversation not only to propel the plot but also to build character. We get so much characterization that it feels as if we've know these people for years. And guess what, that's exactly how we are supposed to feel. I like Keillor's stuff on the radio and his Lake Wobegon readings. I attended this show with my dad and stepmom, and they both really enjoyed it. In fact, my dad even watched a Keillor July 4 special on PBS tonight after being exposed to the stuff. But this film has to be seen to be appreciated. Rating: See it soon and do pay full price.

"Wordplay": The last few years have brought a string of documentaries about some group of slightly overobsessive people who are really into something, whether it is the national spelling bee ("Spellbound"), the "Star Trek" TV show ("Trekkies"), ballroom dancing ("Mad, Hot Ballroom") or Scrabble ("Word Wars"). Now, we have a film that highlights a few people who are compelled to complete the New York Times crossword puzzle -- daily, quickly and accurately -- and then who attend a national competition in Stamford, Conn. It's "Wordplay," and it is a sweet film done well. It won't get wide release, but it is worth viewing, if only to compare to the others in this genre. Plus, I learned a lot about how the puzzles are composed and published. This film is not very critical; in fact it sort of glorifies the puzzle solvers -- when the everyday solvers are juxtaposed with Jon Stewart, Ken Burns and Bill Clinton you know it's legitimate. Rating: Pay full price if you get a chance, or rent it as soon as it is available.

I have a couple more films on my list to see before I return home, and a few that I am dying to see when they are released later this summer ("Little Miss Sunshine," "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" and others).

-- Peoria, Ariz.

5 comments:

Dr Pezz said...

We loved "An Inconvenient Truth" and are going to see "Superman" today. Al Gore was actually interesting to hear!

I wanted to see "Wordplay" while in Seattle, but things didn't work out. Grrrr! Next time.

I heard a rumor that the third "Pirates" movie is lated to come out next summer. Depp rides again!

P.S. I finally saw "Munich". Great film! A little slow at times, but I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed "Crash" the most out of the Oscar nominated films this year, but I understand everyone's point about "Brokeback."

Dr Pezz said...

We went and saw "Superman" last night, and all four of us felt it was a bit slow and too earnest. While I thought the lead reminded me so much of Christopher Reeve, I felt the movie dragged quite a bit. I also was confused by how much (or how little) this movie was supposed to fall in line with the four previous films. There were some consitencies (Lois and Super's night together, for example), but many inconsistencies (Lois not knowing who Kent really is).

Maybe I just grew up with the original films and am having a hard time with the new one. Or maybe it was just a slow introduction to a new series, which will be much better than the first.

Anonymous said...

The pirates in POTB aren't manly enough. Depp is a womanly pirate and a disgrace to REAL pirates.

Al Gore would just love to scare everyone into the voting booth wouldn't he?

Anonymous said...

*I meant POTC

Dr Pezz said...

What?!

A Disney pirate that doesn't maim and kill? Abominable!

Must be a Communist uprising.

If you are accusing Al Gore of creating a state of fear, how does that differfrom the current administration?