Monday, July 17, 2006

Daily Routine 11

Yesterday afternoon was pure bliss, and I decided to go for a short bike ride in the evening. I watched "The Family Stone" on DVD, and then rode a bit from 8:15 to 8:45 p.m.

this morning it was back to work on the journalism workshop before noon. In addition to getting some registration information from CWU, I also completed revision of the confirmation letter that I have to send tomorrow. I could have done those this afternoon, but I forgot to go to the post office for stamps.

I met a friend for lunch at Taco Del Mar because Monday is double-punch day for the punch cards. After 10, the next burrito is free! We like to go there because we can get our cars washed across the street, where the ultimate wash is by hand, and a worker dries the car afterward. It is a bit extra, but it is worth it to have a nicely cleaned car. Mine did not really need it inside, but I had a lot of caked on bugs on the front grill and windshield, so I needed the extra attention. I had the added benefit of a coupon for the wash since I had paid once a year ago and never got the wash because I forgot to leave the keys when I crossed the street for lunch.

Whiel my friend's car went through the washing tunnel in about a half hour -- the perfect lunch time -- mine was not even vacuumed by the time we returned from the taco stand. So, I waited an extra half hour for my car. Good thing I did not have that much else to do this afternoon anyway.

On the way home, I stopped at a local furniture store to check out beds. I am shopping for a new one. Basically, I need a new mattress, which means I have an excuse for a new bed, and I want to paint the bedroom, so I need to make sure the color matches the style of the furniture. It all comes down to the headboard. I am picky. I want a bookshelf headboard, but there are not many of those in stores. This store had some nice headboards -- finished and unfinished -- but no bookshelf headboards. The sales clerk was helping someone else, and I had to go to the bathroom, so I left. I may go back to talk with them again to see if they can craft or order something.

I spent the afternoon at the school newspaper editor's house. It was a mid-summer newspaper staff social, and it was great -- very relaxing and low-key. Probably we could have had some sort of planned activity, but the kids seemed to be enjoying themselves well enough, so I did not want to make it feel like it was a structured school activity. I was pleased that pretty much the entire staff showed up at least for a little bit. I still have some recruiting to do, because we have a small group right now. Scheduling has become increasingly difficult the past few years, and that also cost me a few valuable students for next year. There are finite spots in a student's schedule after all. It was good to see everyone, and I know we will have a fantastic year ahead; these are some talented and creative students. There are a few challenges, but I am also optimistic that the students will rise to the expectations.

I came home and went up to school to print off some materials for the workshop. I rode my bike, so I could work off the cake that I ate this afternoon. I have not had much refined sugar this summer, so that was a shock to my system! When I got to school, I noticed all four of the doors of the entrance nearest my classroom were boarded up and tha glass missing. I am not sure what happened there, but it looks like it was possibly vandalism. I also had to ride past several dozen lounging football players; the school is sponsoring a football camp with players from all over the state. Some of them lodge in the school gym or camp on the lawn out back.

I have been working for a couple hours on some more journalism-related activities, including the national awards committee, on which I serve. Some of the nominees are really outstanding, and it is going to be a tough selection process.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: