Friday, July 28, 2006

Off to work for a week

I had hoped to have an average of one post daily for July -- mainly to make up for the fact that I only posted once (!) during June. But the last few days have beene specially busy as I finalized details for the journalism workshop I co-direct. I thought I would have some extra time, but today I went to school to do the last-minute work, and the custodians had waxed the floor in the hall, so I could not get to my classroom to work. I had to come back later in the afternoon. Then, tonight, it took me forever to load all the boxes and various packages of supplies and givewaway items into the car. That Forester is loaded to the roof and the back end is riding low. The best part is that almost none of that stuff comes home with me. We sell, give away or consume almost all of it, thankfully.

So that's where I will be for a week. I am excited -- I love being able to share with colleagues and also to help them get started or grow in a career I really enjoy. Then, four days with students is also enjoyable. It is a certain buzz and excitement about starting the year with goals and a good attitude.

Despite my good attitude now I am sure I will be tired and a bit cranky by the end of the week. Staying in a college dorm and eating mediocre food while trying to stay on top of running the workshop can really take a lot out of a person.

I will have Internet access during the workshop, and I will try to post something to get August started off right, but I won't have the flexibility to spend as much time as I might want on this.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: