Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Rice to be confirmed after thorough grilling

My hero this week for being the standard-bearer of the Democrat Party: Sen. Barbara Boxer of California. Man, did she give Dr. Condoleeza Rice the what-for this week during Rice's confirmation hearing to be Secretary of State. More...

Boxer held Rice accountable for having a distorted view of the truth. She and Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts were the two votes against her in the committee; both strongly oppose President Bush's strategy in the war in Iraq. Sixteen other voted for Rice. Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, the committee's ranking Democrat, reluctantly voted for her, but also admonished her to come back and be honest and to avoid listening to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld because "he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about." Biden was referring to the rosy picture painted by the Pentagon about how many Iraqi troops had been trained to replace American soldiers. Biden said the number was far fewer than was being reported.

Other Senate Democrats said they would attempt to delay the floor vote on Rice's nomination until late Thursady evening, when inauguration parties commenced, hoping Republicans would rather adjourn and get to the partying.

Another bright spot this week was the delay of the committee vote on Alberto Gonzales as attorney general. Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts placed a one-week hold on the vote until Gonzales asnwered questions to the satisfaction of the committee's minority Democrats.

As a snub to the president, it could be that neither of these high-profile cabinet members would be able to assume their jobs when the president begins his second term. Perhaps the Democrats are finding their backbone again and will emerge from the 2004 election as a true opposition party.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rice...grilling...I'm hungry. I want to go to Taco Bell (quiero ir al Taco Bell)because they have those rice and carne asada bowls. Actually, I don't know if they have them anymore because the only commercials for Taco Bell that I've seen lately have been for that "I'm full" thing. Their new commercials just don't live up to the classics. Remember that one where the guy walks through the streets singing about the grilled steak taco? That was funny. A true classic. I didn't really like their commercials for fajitas. They aired them too often and for too long. I'd way rather have real fajitas from a restaurant anyway. But some of Taco Bell's other items are quite delicious. Plus they're cheap too.

Of course, Wendy's has cheap, delicious food as well. Their drive-thrus tend to be top-notch for their quality and speed of service. I worked at Wendy's one time, but they fired me after a week because I didn't come in to work one day because I was too busy cleaning my feet. The night before, I had ventured into the unknown of a swamp about half a mile away from my sister's best friend's grandma's house. We were looking for frogs, and I had decided to go barefoot so I could feel them better. Unfortunately, we got lost on our way back. Luckily, my sister's best friend's uncle found us (I, too, have an uncle, in case you're wondering). By the time I had finished scrubbing my feet completely clean, I was already late for work, so I figured I might as well stay home. They called me later that night to inform me that my services were no longer required.

Anyway, about my uncle. He is an amazing man. I admire him deeply. He once removed a staple from my guinea pig using nothing but a box of matches, duct tape, and a container of .7 mm lead. I think he developed his resourcefulness working for the Forest Service. He learned how to use even the most ordinary objects for extraordinary tasks. For example, did you know that you can repel a porcupine by waving a flower (preferably red, not blue or purple) rapidly in its face? My uncle pretends that he works hard, but he admits secretly to me that he really spends most of his time frolicking through the meadows and eating roasted twigs.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Anonymous, what you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this blog is now dumber for having read it. I award you no praise, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Anonymous said...

ya people really should stop posting random crap it is really annoying and dumb and the first guy who responded stole a line from Billy Madison i bet he will go to jail for plagarism i saw billy madison a couple years ago in a theater or I guess you could spell it theatre if you lived in canada, i don't like canada very much its too cold and i don't have any gloves because i lost them one time while drinking hot chocolate on a camping trip, it was cold there but i took my gloves off because the mug was hot and it was making my hands too hot so I set my gloves down and then they were gone when i went to find them after drinking the last of my hot chocolate and eating marshmallows, why does everyone say "marsh-mellow" when it is spelled with an a, not an e, I don't get it, i guess it is because most people are dumb, like that egret guy, except he's not really dumb because i agree with him that blogs are for serious political discussion only and should not be used to tell dumb random stories.

Anonymous said...

I believe that you two, oops, how do I know this is all coming from two people? Back to what I was saying, you two are definitely providing a valuable service to this blog. Loganite should be paying you for your humorous responses that just make me tingle all over. In fact, I will just come out with it, I love you. I love both of you. Egret, in your 104 years of life, I am sure you have gained an infinite amount of wisdom. That means that if you want to post random little anecdotes over this entire site, you should be allowed. And anonymous, first of all, if I only had an uncle like yours my life would be complete. And I totally agree with your analysis of the Taco Bell commercials, they just are not what they used to be. I would like to warn you however, to limit the run-on sentences you post. Seriously, I passed out before reading it completely, and had to be revived by the most unlikely of people. As it turns out, Mr. D. B. ATC(you know of whom I speak) walked into my room at the exact moment I collapsed. And I was even luckier when he happed to have a defibrillator and CPR mouth guard. But really, you can't pass it off as luck, Mr. D. B. ATC is always prepared. He probably has an ambulance in his fanny pack.
Sincerely,
The anonymous who is not quite as great and evil as the other anonymous but who generated 13 responses from one post, beat that!