Thursday, January 27, 2005

It's finally over -- a crappy week

I made the mistake of telling too many people about this online forum, so I can't go into details about just why this week was so crappy, but it was. And I am glad it is done. Suffice it to say that I started the week with newspaper layout night, which consumes a bunch of time; a very frustrating staff meeting; a negative situation with a yearbook picture, which I oppose to my very core; students and their end-of-semester course-failing situations (involving the alternative high school and also students who just did not do what they needed); me being just a slight bit sick; and an online class that is very complicated and has a workload that is going to kick my butt this semester.

So, I am taking a couple days off. After getting a much-needed haircut (always makes me feel better) I plan to spend some of the time at the movies in another city where I can forget the stresses of my job and school life. I also plan to spend some curled up on the couch reading, writing and watching stupid, fluffy movies. There may even be adult beverages involved.

Next week begins a new semester. If the total bedlam at the counseling office is an indication, most of the first week will be a complete waste of time because students will have schedule changes galore. It would be funny if it weren't so serious.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

1 comment:

Dr Pezz said...

Ah, the joy of finals week! I love starting a fresh semester but loathe the incessant whining and frantic attempts to make up points. Seeing a new group of students is fun; however, I will miss my first semester classes. They were awesome! I actually had a good finals week--one of the better finals weeks I've ever had.

Here are some statements I hear and the comments I wish I could respond with at times:

"What's my grade?" Who cares? If you don't know, it's not that important to you. I want you to learn, not try to acquire points.

"I forgot my homework." You're fired!

"What'd I get on the final?" You should've known when you took it. Did you know the answers? When my grades are posted, you'll know I'm done grading.

"Did we do anything important while I was gone?" No, we took a holiday because you weren't here; we didn't want you to miss anything. Of course, we did something important! Otherwise, we wouldn't have done it.

"I'm going to be gone tomorrow. Will I miss anything (important)?" See above but put in future tense.

"Can I turn the assignment in tomorrow? [Enter excuse here.]" No. I want it today. That's why today is the deadline. If I wanted it tomorrow, that would've been the deadline. By the way, you're fired!

"Can I have some extra credit to boost my grade?" No. There are two types of students who ask for extra credit: those who won't do it and those who don't need it. Besides, the entire idea of extra credit is ludicrous. It means you didn't do what you were supposed to do and don't deserve it.

"Is it ok if I [enter way to break a rule here]?" No. If you had to ask, you know it's not ok. And now, you're fired!

"What do I have to do to pass? I just want to pass." (Sigh) Fulfill the requirements as stated on the hand-out you just received. Don't strain yourself while you're at it. (Oh, man! He'll be put in charge of something important some day--probably my pension.)

"I just want to do the best I can. I just want to learn." (Almost black out) You get it. You understand why you're here. But, sorry to say, you're fired! You might take my job.


While I say some of this in jest, these are the comments we (teachers) hear all too often--except the last comment, of course. Sometimes I wonder what we are teaching the students when we use points. Our grading system is archaic. I want to grade a student on learning, not just hand out points.

I want to say, "prove to me you learned in this class, and that will be the basis of your grade." I honestly could care less about points. Some of my so-called 'C' students learn much more than my 'A' students (and are much more hireable), but there is no way to show that. I guess that's often what I'm thinking at the end of the semester: show me what you've learned, how you've improved, what you can do. I try and structure the class this way. I hope it works.