Monday, January 24, 2005

Funny, I don't feel 90

As usual, every third Monday night is layout night for the newspaper, The Apple Leaf. Tonight was a pretty seamless operation. I told the group of editors as I walked out the door with them at about 8:30 p.m. that this was one of the best issues in the last several years from top to bottom. I think that every page has something good on it. Sure, the last few years have had some pretty spectacular issues with a nice centerpiece section, a cool commentary or a great feature, but Volume 88, Issue 6 is as solid as it gets. With just 20 students on staff, it's even more remarkable.

And it was pretty cool that it was the 90th edition I have advised since 1997. That's a lot of late nights; third, fourth and fifth drafts; trips through the drive-thru; red pens; and times I've yelled "Get to work!" Now, things pretty much run themselves. That's a good feeling.

It's not that any of my previous students were better or worse, just that they had different experiences and talents and worked with me in a different time. I've learned a lot these past 90 issues, and I hope I keep learning.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Logan --

I would like to congratulate you on 90 SPECTACULAR issues! I can't believe it's been that many either.

You are my inspiration -- and I'm not lying.

Kelly (and Tom says "hi")

Anonymous said...

I too, congradulate you on reaching the spectacular number of 90 issues. I am a student and enjoy reading certain parts The Apple Leaf. Therefore I am sorry about having to post a negative review. There is no denying the fact that this paper is turning severly liberal, which I have no doubt you commend. I believe this because you are a pronounced democrat yourself and probably push your political ideals mercilessly onto your poor, inocent students untill they break under the strain and become brainwashed liberals. Don't get me wrong, there are many articles in your paper that are still worth reading, and I apreciate these. It is a fact, however, that the annoying liberal students have a monopoly on the opinion section. It is okay for people to have their opinions, and they are placed in the appropriate spot, but either let some conservatives at the opinions section or obliterate it completely. I have had enough of a paper more than half of the student body is unable to enjoy.
Again, great work on maintaining the quality of our treasured paper.

ame said...

hi Mr. Aimone. I like your blog, for more than one reason. Well, just letting you know.

Anonymous said...

Here's the link to the videos we told you about earlier. I know you'll enjoy them, especially the first one. Watch "Bush BS" and "State of the Union (on crack)." BS is on the first page, SOTU is on page 2.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fmovies4.shtml