Monday, January 23, 2006

Pranks for the memories

The last few weeks have brought an occasional prank phone call at strange hours. The number usually is blocked, and my phone announces this with an abnormal ring tone and the phrase "Unknown caller" spoken in a pseudo-human voice. Sometimes I answer, trying to grasp a clue as to this unknown caller. Other times, I just let the call go to voice mail. Sometimes there is a message.

Saturday at about 2:40 a.m., that exact situation occurred. As I awoke to the chirp noise that indicates a voice message, I knew I needed to leave the snuggly warmth of my bed to see who had called, just in case it was an emergency. With family members spread around the country and time zones, and with a disabled parent, the likelihood of an early morning call with bad news is not out of the question.

But this call was no emergency. This call was just a stupid prank along the lines of those I have received in the past. This time, though, the prankster was sloppy and left the phone identification. My interrogations and research should be able to ascertain the culprits, and I have just one reminder: I love a good practical joke, and I like to get even. I always do.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know who it was! You might want interigate your freshman honors english class if I were you.

Anonymous said...

I know you can get even. I fell victim to it, in front of my entire senior class.

Anonymous said...

You haven't gotten even yet. We're still waiting.....

I dare ya, just try