Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Finals Week fracas

I don't know what it is about Finals Week at school, but it always seems to be a sort of weird, subdued environment that belies the reality of bedlam. Everyone seems stressed except for me. Frankly, I think this week is one of the easiest weeks for me as a teacher -- all the students are present, everyone is academically focused, I don't have to do much because the kids are performing speeches or tests or whatever, and at the end of the week no one has any homework. Dang, what could be better?

Two main things have frustrated me this week, though. One is the ridiculous schedule, and the other is the arrogance of some of my colleagues. A compounding factor is the whininess of some of my students who need to be told to shut up for once in their life.

The schedule is absurd. With six classes as the basic schedule, one ould think we could do three finals one day and three the next. But no, we have a Tuesday that includes a 20-minute period followed by a 90-minute final. Wednesday has three 90-minute finals, a 50-minute regular class that is completely pointless and an end time that is five minutes earlier than normal. Thursday brings two 90-minute finals and a start time that is five minutes later than normal. It also includes a final exam period after lunch for the "zero period" even though no one uses that time for a test because they have already taken it earlier.

That leads me to the arrogance part. Some of my colleagues seem to think they can cancel a class or test at whim without regard for the impact on the rest of us. The "zero period" teachers usually have their test earlier in the week and then cancel the Thursday afternoon test period. We could all have a smoother week if the Tuesday final were moved to Thursday if the "zero period" classes continue to do whatever they please. Other colleagues told students not to come to class -- they said they would not be taking attendance -- if the student already had an A grade. That is ridiculous! Every student of mine has to come to the final. I had a student today with a 101 percent grade who took the final. No exceptions.

These are the things that bug me and make it hard to maintain order and accountability during the week of nuttiness. So, here is my proposal for a smooth finals week:
  • Two days of finals only. "Zero period" classes schedule their final when convenient because there are few to whom this applies. Each day has three tests.
  • Each day has a 60-minute lunch period. Juniors and seniors with a 3.0 GPA are allowed to go off campus for lunch, freeing space in the cafeteria. That would be a privilege worth earning, I think. And, students would be sure to return because they all have a test to take.
Maybe the faculty needs to have a good discussion about the value of finals. Seems like not everyone values them, and maybe we don't even need them. They may be more hassle than they are worth, especially if people are not giving tests or projects or even meeting class. Maybe we're just doing something because we've always done it that way.

And honestly, some people need to get over the fact that a disappointing grade is not my fault -- they need to accept the fact that I don't round grades and I should not need to remind them to study. Grow up and move on.

Whatever the case, I am looking forward to having the day off Friday for "Records Day" and then starting fresh on Monday.

Happy New Semester!


-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: