Sunday, January 15, 2006

'King Kong' rules

I finally had the chance to see the Peter Jackson epic "King Kong" this evening, and I have just one word to describe the experience: awesome. What made this an even better experience was attending and later discussing the film with my friend Superfrankenstein, a true King Kong afficionado.

I'll save my usual evaluation of films I see, and instead I offer some of my favorite parts of the film:
  • Jackson's directing make this film a true epic and done in epic proportion. From sweeping camera shots to iconographic moments the visuals never disaapoint. Even little details such as close-up shots of intimate moments and details in the shot give the film that extra touch that make it worthwhile.
  • The acting approaches the brink of cheesy in some spots, but all the performances are top-notch. Jack Black as movie director Carl Denham is just the right amount over the top. And Naomi Watts really shines as Ann Darrow. Considering that most of her acting was solo in front of a green screen, she probably deserves some recognition for her ability to deliver a performance that seems inspired.
  • The film moves along at a steady clip, and I found myself wondering what would be the next complication for the characters. After arriving at the island, having Ann snatched by Kong, chasing the ape through the jungle and a huge dinosaur stampede, I glanced at my watch and realized the film was just half over. Every twist to the plot and even more unlikely super adventure all seemed entirely plausible on an island that harbored a giant ape and dinosaurs.
  • I had to avert my eyes during the scenes with the huge bugs. I don't know what is the fascination that filmmakers have with giant bugs -- we see them all too often -- but I can't stand 'em.
  • Finally, I actually became drawn in by the love story -- a pair of parallel love stories, actually, with the Ann-Kong and Ann-Jack Driscoll love lines. The movie-within-a-movie also was interesting to watch.

I went to the theater thinking I would probably find the film to be entertaining. I ended up spending about three hours well entertained, my jaw slack as I watched wide-eyed.

What a film!

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

2 comments:

Dr Pezz said...

Jackson sure did maintain the tone of the original throughout his updated version. What amazed me the most, though, was the detail of the expressions given to Kong. Simply incredible. He was so expressive that I honestly felt for him at the end.

My only disappointment was in the stampede scene. Here the obviousness of the green screen usage interrupted the flow of the film for me. I think this was just a bit too over the top.

However, I knew this wasn't the typical remake when the exploration party first contacts the natives. Whoa! Intense! Jackson didn't just dress up some people of color; he created a brutal, isolated group of tribesmen who are quick to kill because of the constant dangers surrounding them. Loved it!

Anonymous said...

drpezz smells of body odor.