Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Letterman 1, O'Reilly 0

On the Jan. 3 edition of "Late Show with David Letterman," the host got into it with guest Bill O'Reilly over the so-called war on Christmas, the very real war in Iraq, Cindy Sheehan's protest of that war (O'Reilly apparently said Sheehan called the insurgents "freedom fighters") and whether O'Reilly is full of crap (or at least 60 percent crap).

Yes, Letterman told O'Reilly he thought about 60 percent of what O'Reilly said was crap.

Crooks and Liars has a video worth watching. Letterman schools O'Reilly. And here is a transcript of the exchange.

I must have been the only one not watching last night. I often do, but I switched to CNN and later my DVD of "The West Wing" just to escape. I'll be back tonight to see Dave's follow-up and if he cracks a few jokes about it all. He's the king of late night.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must disagree with your analysis of the Late Show, Loganite. I'm not smart enough to debate you point to point on this, but I have the feeling about 60 percent of what you say is crap. But I don't know that for a fact. I'm just spit-balling here.

If Letterman "schooled" O'Reilly on the Late Show by this logic, I'm afraid I just "schooled" you on this issue.

Loganite said...

By watching the whole video, I think Letterman was pretty emotional and serious. And the audience reaction was supportive of that. Letterman wasn't going to completely humiliate or berate a guest on his show. That is what happens on the "O'Reilly Factor."

-- L.

Dr Pezz said...

Letterman's wit couldn't be matched by O'Reilly, but O'Reilly does have more political insight. Except when it's the 60% of crap.

Anonymous said...

First,

Leno > Letterman.

Second,

When is the jealousy of O'reilly having the number 1 political show going to end?

shannon said...

thanks for the plug. ;)