Friday, December 30, 2005

Vacation Movies, Part II

I have spent some time in theaters this week, with more time scheduled still, so I'll get right to it.

"Syriana" -- I enjoyed this film about oil politics in the United States and the Middle East. A lot of reviews said it was a thinking person's drama, and I think that is right. There is some great stuff in the film.

I have to admit I approached it as a movie first and a commentary second. The film is well made with excellent perfoemances and a wonderful convergence of plots that had me surprised a couple of times. It also gave good screen time to some new actors, people to watch. As a commentary I tried not to think of the larger implications outside the theater. Certainly there is a lot to ponder in the United States' deadlings with the oil emirs of the Persian Gulf region. The interests of the United States are often the interests of the Gulf states. Fortunaltely, "Syriana" steered clear of an outright indictment of certain nations, religions or even our own country. This was a work of fiction. However, its plot events were all-too-likely. Think "Manchurian Candidate" with oil.

"The Producers" -- This was the most over-the-top romp I have seen in a long time. I have not seen the original film or the stage musical, but I knew the basic plot. This version was delightful. A woman sitting further down in front than me laughed at every line and gag with a squeal that writer Mel Brooks would love.

Movies just aren't this cleverly funny anymore. Either they are funny because of stupid antics and cheap lines or they are funny because of their serious portrayal of the human foibles, but "The Producers" has targets on so many levels that one can't help but laugh. No one is safe from the satire. Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are simply perfect. More Mel Brooks, please!


In looking for other movies, I am amazed by the number of strong films out right now that are also very long. I am not sure if I can handle a three-hour show without a "bio break," so some ("King Kong," "Munich") may need to wait for the home-viewing pleasure that is DVD.

-- Issaquah, Wash.

1 comment:

Dr Pezz said...

Loganite,

I have a free pass for King Kong if you want it. It's worth seeing on the big screen; it just won't be the same at home.