Thursday, December 01, 2005

Snow, snow, snow

Last Friday, Nov. 25, was the first snow in Wenatchee this year. We had another inch or so Tuesday. But the first real snow came last night and all day today, when about three to four inches fell on the lower parts of the valley. I assume the higher elevations such as the foothills and canyons received a bit more.

So winter begins.

Finally I shoveled the driveway tonight. I usually don't do much to clean off the driveway (there are no sidewalks on my cul de sac) for a few reasons. One, I have studded tires, so the snow is not really a problem to get through when coming in and out of the garage. Two, since I had already driven out of the garage Tuesday morning, compressing ruts, there was no way to clear the drive of the snow; the pebbly surface also makes it difficult. Finally, the direction of the sun's rays during winter -- blocked by the mountain and other homes -- means the driveway gets very little chance to have the snow or frost melt; pretty much it's shady till February.

But today, I had to do it. Enough snow had piled up that it needed to be done. And, I had to brush the snow off the car so it would not melt in the garage and leave a big puddle. Plus, I felt bad that the paper boy had to trudge through the drifts of powder just to deliver my paper to the porch.

So now, the driveway is mostly clean. Just in time for another dumping of snow. The good news tonight is that school is delayed two hours tomorrow, so I can sleep well.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: