Friday, December 23, 2005

The loss of a true gem

One of the special treats I enjoy on many breaks from school is watching the back episodes of my fevorite television series, "The West Wing," on DVD. I just began watching the fifth season this week, and though I had already seen each episode, of course, it is nice to see the show without commercial interruption and with the option of pausing and replaying.

And, as I watch the episodes for a second, third, even fourth time because of reruns, I notice a bit more about the magic that is this special show. Its actors are the best anywhere week after week. Among the notable actors on the show was John Spencer, who played Leo McGarry and who died Dec. 16 of a heart attack at age 58.

Spencer's ability was in his expressions, the lines in his face, a look, a tone, a gesture. He conveyed important bits about the office of chief of staff and about the White House just through his simple and subtle acts. For example, Spencer as Leo always buttoned his jacket when entering the Oval Office. He often communicated an entire page's worth of script in just one pause with a look, a purse of his lips or a movement of his eyes.

Television, and some movies, is devoid of the kind of actor like Spencer, all too rarely seen today. I am not sure what is next for "The West Wing" now -- Spencer's character was the Democratic nominee for vice president in the ongoing campaign that in TV time is still six weeks away from Election Day. I imagine several episodes had already been written, let alone filmed, before Spencere's untimely death. The most startling irony is that Leo had suffered a major heart attack that left him sidelined for much of the sixth season last year. I do expect the show will acknowledge the death and will write it into the show. How they do and still manage to pay homage to a fantastic actor will be difficult, but the show should be able to pull it off.

I'll be watching.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I didn't know how to get ahold of you but when I was working at your desk on wednesday I noticed an interesting book. It was science fiction about genetics and I believe the last word in the title was dragon. Do you know the name of this book? I was really interested in reading it but I forgot to ask you about it in your hurry to attend your Christmas bash. anyways if you know it that would be awesome!

Loganite said...

I figure you'll check back. That book is called "House of the Scorpion." You can borrow it if you want.

I'm in the phone book, you know. You don't have to post a comment here! But thanks for being a loyal reader.

-- L.

Anonymous said...

oh thanks, I think I might buy it. Family gatherings this week you know something to do. I thought messaging you would be easier plus your blogs looked sad. that's what happens when you don't post for awhile. Merry Christmas

Dr Pezz said...

One great aspect of Spencer's TV acting is his ability to use expressions without overdramatizing or becoming a parody of a character. In stage drama the actors have to exaggerate so much because the audience is not close enough to see, but Spencer's subtle movements, gestures, and expressions convey much more than words ever could (and become more realistic).

So, who will be the new VP?