Thursday, December 22, 2005

'Re-elect Rossi'? Ha!

As I left Wenatchee this morning for a quick trip down to Ellensburg, I saw a few vehicles with bumper stickers. A woman in an older Subaru wagon had one of note: "Dog is my co-pilot" and several other progressive and enlightened phrases stuck on the back panel. Good stuff.

Then I followed a SUV for a bit on the road on the outskirts of town. I always like to read the many bumper stickers I see while driving, which probably explains my tendency to follow too closely. So this vehicle had a sticker with the phrase "Re-Elect Rossi" -- no kidding. There is actually a bumper sticker for the lost cause of Dino Rossi, a candidate that did not win an election the first time around but whose pathetic supporters keep spouting off about how the election was "stolen" by the liberals and incompetent election workers in King County.

News flash: HE LOST. There is no "re-electing" him. He wasn't elected in the first place. For a time, he had more votes, but subsequent recounts and a court case showed he actually had fewer.

You don't see any stickers for "Re-Elect Gore-Lieberman" do you? There was an election that actually was stolen because not all votes were counted. But we have moved on.

The clincher here: The sticker was on a vehicle being driven by a conservative Republican county commissioner, one of the most pompous and self-serving politicians in the area. He's never won an election either -- he was appointed and then ran unopposed.

-- Ellensburg, Wash.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a simple joke, let it go. I assume you're also upset about "bush lied" signs since he literally didn't lie?

Anonymous said...

Loganite, I believe you are wrong on one point in your comment. Actually, I know you are wrong. One of your former appleleaf members had it plastered on the back of his car. It said something on the lines of "re-defeat Bush, '04" or something along that line. This, just like the Rossi stickers, are obviously around for comical effect and to annoy the opposite party. Just like you were upset about the Rossi sticker, I was upset about the defeat Bush sticker.

Dr Pezz said...

I think they're kinda funny, too. I guess the only aspect of the Rossi stickers that are somewhat annoying is that he was proven, as well as could be, that he lost the election (in fact, he lost votes). Besides that, Gregoire is doing a pretty good job. Also, the Bush election never made it to the proof stage.

Anonymous said...

Yeah it did. They were all eventually counted and he won.

Dr Pezz said...

Actually, the court stopped the process.

Anonymous said...

They stopped the official process. After all of them were unofficially counted, Bush still had around 500 more votes. However a strong argument for your side is that under certain circumstances concerning dimpled chads, correctly filled out ballots, etc say that Gore would have won. I'm not sure how that would work and the only places I've seen that study were from anti-Bush sites.

Anonymous said...

Loganite,
I guess we have to educate people one at a time.
Dino DID win. Twice.
Christy was appointed.
So, while the bumper sticker is slightly tongue in cheek, it's factual too!

Lorraine said...

Thanks folks. This is obviously meant to be amusing, and it just happens to be factual at the same time. I know, it is hard to understand how clever people function. Besides, a few more recounts, and I could have been appointed Governor.