Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Road Trip ’05: Stage 1

I left Wenatchee on schedule this morning, just after 6 a.m. Pacific Time. The only glitch in travel was in the Tri-Cities, where I think I have gotten lost every time I have traveled there. In my own defense, I did take all the correct turns and exits. However, I did not realize that the highway turned into a main street through Kennewick, and I turned back and asked for directions at a mini-mart.

Travel continued well, and I had no problems through Oregon and was at the Idaho state line at about 1:30 Mountain Time (just 6 1/2 hours after I left). As I drove those first few miles in the Gem State, I noticed that the highway medians and shoulders had a lot of weeds and just looked unsightly. Things improved around Boise. I continued to make excellent time through Idaho and stopped for a break in Twin Falls at 4:30 Mountain Time.

Nevada, I realized, actually has some nice scenery. The drawback is that it just keeps going and going and going. Just when I thought I was making some progress, I realized there were still miles to go. With the speed limit at 70 mph and mostly straight and flat terrain, I did make it to Ely (EE-lie), Nev., by about 7:30 p.m. Pacific Time. The hour I lost in Idaho’s time zone was regained in Nevada. I thought it would be no problem to find a motel, hopefully with Internet access. The first couple motels were booked. The Longhorn, a former Holiday Inn, had one room in nonsmoking, and it had Internet – for just $95. I passed, settling instead for the Motel 6 at just $39.95. No Internet. Also, the air conditioning was broken, but it actually was not too bad since I opened a window and a light breeze kicked up. The other guests seem to be nightowls, and the many motorcycles have been rumbling around the parking lot. The view of the full moon from the room was striking.

I was so pleased with the performance of my car, which traveled 800 miles. The engine temperature stayed within the normal range, and I had to turn off the air conditioning for a while to ensure that. Still, it was a tough accomplishment considering the elevation rise and the temperatures over 100 degrees.

Las Vegas is just a four-hour drive or so (275 miles), and I should be settled there by early afternoon. I composed this in Ely, Nev., but I posted it from Las Vegas.

-- Las Vegas, Nev.

No comments: