Thursday, June 16, 2005

Coverage in the high school newspaper

If you are just tuning in, there is a steady back-and-forth debate between to loyal Loganite readers, DrPezz and MrPibb, who are conflicted about the coverage deserved by and given to various sports and activities at our high school. Normally, I don't defend coverage decisions because the complainants usually don't want an explanation, they want something changed. Then, amid the barbs this week came this Anonymous post:
I noticed a lot of coverage on teams that were losing... didn't see too much of the boys swim team having an undefeated season and first at districts/anything else too interesting even though the paper wasn't readily available to me. I, however when I was at the highschool more often, did not recall EVER getting to vote on anything that dealth with issues in the paper (like polls). It would have been cooler if we had more people vote than just like 50 that are in your class or whatever you guys do.
With the above comment and the cheer-coverage strand, let me explain a bit of background regarding the decisionmaking about sports coverage and activities at school.

The student staff has committed each year to cover every sport and every squad at a minimum level. That means reporting every score plus a highlight and quote for the three-week interval between issues. This past year, the sports editor also chose to have a narrative story on each varsity sport at some point during the season, which could go further in-depth than just the scores and highlights, even if the team was losing. Heck, if we only covered the wins, there would not be much in some issues. The sports editor also developed a banner with mugs of notable varsity performances with quotes and a series of notable facts. This, with at least one action photo each issue, which we also try to balance among verious teams during the season, comprises two pages.

The timeliness of each edition -- every three weeks -- makes game summaries worthless. People already know the results from another source or it has been so long that they don't care. So, the students determined they would simply document the scores and highlights as listed above. They also committed a full page each issue for a profile of a player or coach. They try to balance this around the various sports, buut there are more sports than there are issues of the newspaper in a year, so some of the smaller sports get skipped in a year. Sometimes these are profiles of the all-star standouts, other times they highlight a player who has come back from injury or who sits on the bench but has great team spirit and so on.

When the decision was made in 2001 to switch to this format, student editors knew that it would mean that coverage of a state championship or other truly exceptional performance would most likely not receive the coverage it had received earlier. The tradeoff was better coverage during the season, knowing that the number of exeptional performances would be few.

Coverage decisions -- in sports or any other section -- are always based on a few factors:
Is it timely? This means how much time has elapsed since the event occurred. Priority is given to stories that are more "fresh." It's called a newspaper, not an oldspaper, after all. We want recent events, and preference is always given to stories that we can break.
Is it noteworthy? Is this exceptional or routine? The more exceptional the event, the more likely it will receive larger coverage. Another related factor is the likelihood that readers will have already learned the news from another source.
Is it significant? It might be exceptional or unusual and recent but that doesn't mean anyone cares. Reader interest also plays a factor. We also rely on participants to act as filters to help us understand when something is a big deal.
Are we able to cover this? Often there are limitations to coverage, including closeness to deadline, availability of a reporter, proximity to our town. This is a significant reason that post-season sports get little coverage -- they take place a long way from home, and we don't have resources to send a reporter or photographer. Sometimes sources also complicate coverage by being unavailable or unwilling to talk to a reporter.
Is there space? The number of pages is based on a budget and certain requirements of the printing press. That budget is determined by the amount of advertising sold. We have often cut smaller stories or trimmed larger ones because there simply was not space available.

All in all, it's not a perfect science. As for the coverage of smaller sports, I will say that the students try to be fair, and I hold them to account for doing so. Admittedly, girls swimming deserved far more coverage, and the boys team could have had some more, too. The boys team received a full-page profile of one of its players this year.

As for the polls, those were not done as frequently this year, or at least with the structure they have had in years past. If only 50 students were polled, then 1,900 weren't, so you were among a pretty large group that also was not asked a question. We did add a poll feature to the Web site this spring, though.

Finally, I feel I have to explain a bit about cheerleading and its coverage. In addition to all the factors listed above, there were some special circumstances for cheerleading stories. The student editors had planned a story about the team's plans to host and compete in a competition. It was a first. Close to the event, it became known that the local team would not compete because some members would not be available. That pretty much killed the story. Probably there should have been a follow-up, even an advance story about preparations for the state competition. There was a brief about the second-place finish. Again, it would have been helpful to know that even though there were just six teams, that placing second was an accomplishment.

I would also point out that a brief is all that was printed by the newspaper staff about themselves when the newspaper was just one of 23 papers to win a very prestigious national award for the first time ever. Or when it was one of just 26 papers to win another very prestigious national award. Or when, in 2001, when it was the sole winner in a national contest. Or when its adviser was named adviser of the year in April (that received one sentence, by the way). Same for the nationally recognized yearbook. That's because the general readership doesn't care how many awards you win. They just want a good newspaper or yearbook. Document and announce, of course, but don't toot your own horn too much. But that rule should not apply to every activity -- you could imagine how ridiculous it would be if the cheerleaders made a self-promoting cheer and chanted it at each halftime -- and the newspaper should try to reflect the importance of student accomplishments and place them in context.

There was a story in May about the allegations of inappropriate cheerleader initiation activities. Yes, it was more than a brief. It was newsworthy. That there had been only small stories about cheer earlier is, frankly, irrelevant. Would those who criticized this story be much less critical if there had been a huge flattering story earlier about the hardworking and dedicated cheerleaders? I highly doubt it. It would have been that same size if it had been any team in the same circumstances, too.

Whew! I guess I have had a lot to say about this topic. I will tell you one thing: I am pitching a story for the Sept. 21, 2005, edition of the newspaper that shows the cheerleaders behind the scenes and helps readers understand the amount of work they do. No guarantees, of course, but it's a story that probably needs to be written (again, by the way -- did one in 1998).

Comments welcomed as always. But I didn't need to tell anyone that.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"That there had been only small stories about cheer earlier is, frankly, irrelevant. Would those who criticized this story be much less critical if there had been a huge flattering story earlier about the hardworking and dedicated cheerleaders? I highly doubt it."
An excellent point, my good man. Thanks for clarifying the criteria for coverage and explaining that not everything, positive or negative, can be covered in-depth in every single issue.

As for the potential in-depth story on cheerleading, that's fine. Like other members of sports and activities, they deserve recognition for their hard work. However, I don't believe that their second-place finish alone automatically entitles them to more coverage than some of the school's strong sports programs.

Dr Pezz said...

You are in a no-win situation with your own awards. If you cover too much, you'd be accused of self-promotion. If you cover too little, your own staff may be slighted. That's a bit different, I think as well, since it's a bit more autobiographical in a sense. That is a difficult position to be in.

As you and I have discussed one on one, Loganite, there were more factors involved in the initiation article as well. I'm not going to rehash those, but others feel the same way I do. I actually received quite a few positive notes from and had conversations with students, staff, and parents about my letter to the editor. By your own admission during the Joint Chiefs talks, you did express concern over the level of sports and athletics coverage.

I also recognize that many people are hesitant to speak with the reporters for one reason or another. A personal example of this would be the fact that my letter was sent spell checked, but it appeared in the paper with spelling errors. My words are a reflection of me as well as of the paper. I found that quite insulting. I know you don't check everything the students do and can't probably be expected to, so I didn't approach you about it. You would have checked that in your own work, and I don't blame you for it. I am going to be very cautious about checking what is written when I speak with a reporter from now on.

Since you brought up the initiation article, initiations occurred all year long in numerous activities, some positive and some negative. Again, refer back to my letter to see my critique of the reporters' words in the initial interview. The approach taken could have affected the interview(s); one interview definitely would have been very different. The letter I sent is in the paper and people can read it if they desire. Also, I know that you clarified some of the writing in the article to more accurately reflect the situation, which was appreciated.

Lastly, I never advocated for cheer to get more coverage than other sports, Pibb. I simply said less visible sports should receive more, not just the negatives surrounding a group (especially those who are easy targets).

Overall, I believe the Apple Leaf to be an excellent student paper, and it has steadily improved over the years. While I do think some areas need to be improved, the newspaper is well-deserving of the awards earned, and I hope they continue to maintain their acclaimed status.

Dr Pezz said...

What was the deal with the polls? Did I miss something that sparked this concern?

Dr Pezz said...

I have to run to the YMCA, but I am going to give my Jerry Springer-esque final thought on this. I know what Pibb wants me to say. However, I will not place one state finish above another. All that a state placing says is that in your sport/activity you were among the best. First is first and second is second. Just because the bowlers (last year) may have defeated fewer squads on their way to a title compared to, say, tennis this year does not mean their title should be ranked lower than tennis. To me, you compete with those you are designated and your results speak for themselves. They are not qualified. I find this type of ranking of championships insulting to the competitors and only detracts from the significance of the award.

Now if you want to debate what I think qualifies as a sport or not, we could have quite a debate (I personally don't believe anything judged, not decided head to head, is a sport). But for this cheer debate, I really am finished this time. We will not change each others' minds.

Anonymous said...

"I know what Pibb wants me to say. However, I will not place one state finish above another."
That's not at all what I wanted you to say. If you read my posts, you'll see that my goal was to show that the titles cannot be compared because the structure is so drastically different between cheerleading and sports. For the last time: the award the cheerleaders received is legitimate and deserved. Just don't compare that second-place finish to the finishes of sports teams. Sports and cheer are completely different, and a comparison cannot possibly be made.

Anonymous said...

Drpezz, about the whole sport/not a sport thing, you say anything judged and not head to head is not a sport, if I understand you correctly. If that's what you're saying, I think I might......agree with you. Wow. That's new.

Anyway, Loganite and pezz, what do you think about the status of the following as sports:

Diving

Gymnastics

Figure skating

NASCAR/Indy/other auto racing

Skateboarding (or other X Games-type events)

Competitive eating

Golf

Billiards

Syncronized Swimming

Ultimate Frisbee

and, of course...
Cheerleading

Dr Pezz said...

I don't think solely judged (subjectively scored) events are sports. They may all be athletic and involve athletes, but I don't consider all on your list sports.

Diving - (judged artistic performance)
Gymnastics - (judged artistic performance)
Figure skating - (judged artistic performance)
NASCAR/Indy/other auto racing - (sport but not athletes)
Skateboarding - (judged artistic performance)
Competitive eating - (sport but not athletes)
Golf - (sport)
Billiards - (sport but not athletes)
Syncronized Swimming - (judged artistic performance)
Ultimate Frisbee - (sport)
Cheerleading - (judged artistic performance)

Now, I definitely think some of these activities involve athletes while others do not, but I think sports are decided objectively. Referees and the like amy enforce rules but not solely decide the outcome. Off the top of my head, only boxing would conflict because I would put that as a sport because the athletes can decide it in the ring; judges are only after the fact and as a last result. Personally I'd rather they keep boxing until someone quits or gets knocked out, but that has been ruled unsafe (and I reluctantly agree).

Things like chess, billiards, darts, etc. are a stretch as a sport. I truly think of them more as past times/games, but they would technically qualify. However, I would much rather see a diving competition over a darts tournament. Diving involves athletes and impressive ones at that.

This topic gets me in trouble with my wife and friends all the time.

On a side note, I hated that three or four of the top 100 athletes of the 1900s (according to ESPN) were horses. ARGH!

Anonymous said...

I agree with basically everything on your list, and I think your definition for what makes something a sport is a good one. I hate to think of racing as a sport, while divers and gymnasts are only a performers, but that's just the way it is. Diving, gymnastics, and even cheerleading require athletic ability and conditioning, but ultimately they must be classified as performances, like you said.

Anonymous said...

The "sport" that frustrates me more than any other is poker. How can people possibly make the stretch to call it a sport? It's a card game! It requires absolutely no athletic ability. Correct me if I'm wrong, avid poker players, but I don't believe there is any physical element to the game whatsoever. I know poker can be incredibly complicated, but so are calculus and chemistry. If mental complexity was enough for sport status, ESPN would truly have to expand through "The Ocho."*

*From "Dodgeball," in case you haven't seen it. Great movie.

Anonymous said...

I linked up to you because my lifelong friend said I should. Has the drama in high school regarding the paper, sports and the ever nauseating cheerleader changed since the 1970's? I think not...I don't really know what the problem was because my mind can't wrap around your monologue. No offense really because I am obviously joining a conversation in progress. do cheerleaders do more these days than look pretty and date the cute guys? And does the Apple Leaf finally have content? What award did you win? I believe competitive eating is hilarious and Golf is VERY athletic..do you know how much muscle you have to have to bend an iron in half after a particularly bad round?

Anonymous said...

Racing doesn't have athletes?!? Do you know what Indy and Nascar drivers go through? Try going 200mph for several hours and stopping only a few times.

Dr Pezz said...

I should've known, Adam, that you would race to the aid of men who take lefts for a few hours. Sure they get dehydrated, but that does not make them athletes. They are skilled drivers, but that does not mean they are athletes to me. I do, however unfortunately, think car racing fits the bill per my definition of a sport.