Sunday, June 19, 2005

Birthday ups and downs

Friday June 17 was, in fact, my 31st birthday, and it was a doozy. I left for Seattle with no agenda other than to have some fun and relax after a long school year. Thank goodness I have friends like Superfrankenstein and the CIB, because they made my birthday memorable and fun.

Let's just say there was plenty of spiritous libations and good eats. I found a quarter on the bus. We had good conversation -- and plenty of spiritous libations.

That was the nice part of my birthday. The earlier part was not so fun.

It all started because I just had to watch a few more minutes of the Today show. I needed to get in the shower, but there I was, enthralled by the fashion segment on the "Boho" style -- the return of Bohemian style of dress. I don't know why I thought it was interesting, but it was. Then I was late. After filling up with gas, I was on the road with just one hour to get to Ellensburg. Should have been fine, and I might have been just a couple minutes late for my 11 a.m. haircut at The Clipper (just $10 and so good).

Then, I knew I was doomed. I always say that Highway 97 over Blewett Pass is not a painful drive unless you get stuck behind a boat, camper or tractor-trailer. As I was cruising along on a glorious Friday during summer vacation that was also my birthday, I had to decelerate rapidly approaching a tractor-trailer full of bins of apples or pears. It was going no more than 40 mph. I was screwed. The passing lane was still a few miles away, and I was traveling at a painfully slow speed given my need to get to Ellensburg. Here is where I should have just used my cell phone to call the barber to reschedule and to call my friend with whom I had lunch plans to move it later.

But no. I decided I would pass the truck and then try to make up some time. Big mistake. Going up a hill, everyone has to press the accelerator a bit to get the car moving up the hill. That's what I did, and I was all alone. I honestly did not realize that as the hill flattened, I was up to 75 mph. The posted limit is 60. I only realized this when from around a bend came a state patrol trooper who literally flipped a U-turn and flashed those lights.

Officer 626 was very polite and nice about the whole situation -- as nice as I can handle when I am receiving a euphemistically titled "notice of infraction" for $153. Thank goodness this was also in Chelan County still as I plan to explain the circumstances in court as is my right.

Officer 626 also asked me if I knew my license expired. Oh yeah, I thought, today is my birthday and it expires today. Honestly, who looks at their license for the expiration date? I asked if the Department of Licensing should have sent me a reminder, and he explained that perhaps if I had sent in a change of address within 10 days of moving, as I should have, then I would have received the notice. Embarrassment.

After 10 humiliating minutes at a slow vehicle turnout, I made my way to Ellensburg. Changed the haircut appointment. Finished lunch. Went to the Department of Licensing in Ellensburg to get a new license, which, thankfully, took just about four minutes start to finish. I have a laser printout as a temporary and then the new card will come from Olympia in about two weeks. My old one was seven years old because I had the original four years plus a three-year extension sticker (part of the reason I forgot it expired this year), and I really liked that picture. It's amazing how much I have changed. Smaller glasses, bigger forehead and chins. Oh well.

All in all a birthday to remember. And I will keep remembering it every time I pay what I am sure will be an increased insurance premium.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

2 comments:

Dr Pezz said...

What a horrible encounter on the highway! I absolutely feel your pain. Remind me to tell you that story sometime.

I hope the rest of weekend went smoothly (besides the spiritous libations).

Here's to hoping your lead foot lightens. Cheers!

P.S. Play 626 in the next lottery draw. It may turn its fortunes around.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it ridiculous how you're only supposed to go 5mph over the speed limit when passing? Heaven forbid we get around the car we're passing as quickly and safely as possible.

I got pulled over on the way back from Seattle a few weeks ago for doing 78 in a 65 and the state patrol simply told me to slow it down a bit. I was lucky.