Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Payback is sweet

In April, during Spring Break, I was startled at 1 a.m. when my doorbell rang. I had been reading in bed, and so I got dressed to see what was up. I went outside to discover toilet paper carefully strung throughout my front yard -- in the trees, along the low wire fence, in the bushes -- four rolls in all.

With a sigh, I went ouitside and started pulling it down. It was not even that funny, honestly. It is just annoying. Plus, I knew who it was.

So I acted surprised at school the next week, launched an investigation, and rooted out the five culprits. I had a plan for payback. And I waited.

Graduation day, the seniors met in the auditorium for final details. As we finished, I had the principal call the five students down to talk with a police officer who is assigned to our campus. I had arranged this in advance, but the kids knew nothing. The entire class erupted in the "Oooh" that usually accompanies the public shame of teens.

As the rest of us went outside to prepare for a class picture, these five students received a stern lecture about trespassing and the ramifications of pranks now that they were adults. The irony was that the same core group had also TP'd the principal's house just the night before! When they came out for the picture, they knew I had set them up. Gotcha!

Lesson: Stay the hell out of my yard. Next time the police will be for real.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

2 comments:

Kell said...

Wow, that was quite the posting spree there Aimone.

Anonymous said...

You didn't know it was us! You are such a liar! All I have to say is, we are damn good! You had no idea it was coming! however I will give you snaps for the prank on us at the pre-graduation get together! By the way Franza thought it was cool we TPed his house! So ha!