Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Oscars: A brief review

Here's my short review of the 2005 Academy Awards:

Chris Rock: Funny stuff, dude. Funny stuff. He gets on a roll and -- look out! I say bring him back and give him an even longer leash. You know people were laughing about the Jude Law jokes ("If you can't get a real star -- wait.")

Oscars from the audience or other areas that were not the main stage: Nice job. This saved time by not having to watch the winner for best makeup walk from her seat in the back of the auditorium. Saves more time for jokes (and for long acceptance speeches by egocentric "stars").

I picked 'em: Things turned out pretty much how most people predicted. Not the way I would have voted, mind you, but how I expected. Clint Eastwood is a class act, for sure. Looking forward to his golden years.

Sean Penn: Dude, lighten up! Jude Law got a free promotion and he is not that great of an actor. I mean, I like him as much as the next person, but he is no Clint Eastwood. He's not even a Sean Penn.

Yo-Yo Ma and the dead Hollywoodites: Nice touch. Because I was working in another room, I did not realize that was the tribute to dead movie people, so I did not see how long the Ronald Reagan clip was. I do think it's kind of insulting for people to be quiet for the lesser-knowns and cheer for their faves. Either be polite for all the dead people or be quiet throughout.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: