Sunday, March 13, 2005

March in like a lamb

March began with little fanfare and a lot of nice weather. It's as if someone just said, "Cue spring," and then it was nice out. A few digest items:

"Singin' in the Rain": This was a nice show at the 5th Avenue. It's amazing that a rainstorm can be created on stage and not have much problem. As usual, a solid production despite a few technical problems. Next season looks good if only for the fact that I have seen none of the shows. I have seen "The King and I" movie version, but I look forward to a few good shows, including "Pippin" and some good music in "Buddy."

Demeanor: Last week was not my finest time. Thursday brought a display of frustration that I hope I won't repeat soon if at all. One student labeled me the Bobby Knight of high school journalism. Puh-leeze. I didn't throttle anyone; I just knocked over a trash can. Then I kicked it. I didn't even swear. That will teach the newspaper students to spell names wrong in the corrections list of all places.

Yardwork: Finally had the chance March 12 to get out and get the yard in shape for spring. This was accelerated by me hiring a former student to help me. Things go a lot faster without having to stop constantly to change tasks. I cut the dead foliage that I left last fall, while he bagged it all. His height came in handy for pruning some of the higher limbs on the darned crabapple tree. My motto for pruning that tree: Every trimmed limb is fewer apples to pick up this summer. Together, we got the whole yard in shape in about three hours. I am still feeling the workout Sunday night. I ordered my supplies and a few replacement plants online from High Country Gardens and I should be able to get things green within a few weeks. I need to replace some Powys Castle sage and have some echinacea planned for the flower bed in the back yard. We need a good rain soon, though.

"Our Town": This was as good a school production as I have seen. What a powerful message, too. The small audience was disappointing, though, and there has to be a way to make the drama more available. Tickets were priced reasonably, so I don't know why more seats were not filled.

Spring Break: I am hanging in for another week before spring break from online classes. Break from work/school comes in another two weeks. Full speed ahead to the journalism convention in Seattle April 7-10, too. I just have a few small details left to coordinate. Maybe then I'll be able to enjoy the convention.

Yearbook: We're scheduled to finish the yearbook March 14. It will take a lot of effort to get there. Eleven pages still have substantial work to complete. However, things always seem to come together, and I am optimistic that this staff of all I have had should be able to pull together and produce quality. It would be a disappointment to have it otherwise.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loganite I have a question for YOU. What sort of commitment is required from you for your online classes? Reading from one of your previous blogs they should not be so unenjoyable beings your couch is so nice.

Anonymous said...

Our Town
1. Why not have a school performance? The skimpy little preview for selected English classes was not enough. Here was an American classic and a terrific cultural opportunity for HS students and it goes to waste.

2. Spring plays in Wenatchee are almost always under attended especially when the weather is so amazing.

3. The auditorium is too big for this type of performance. Hire the Stanley and advertise through Music Theatre etc. Make it part of the community theatre experience.