Saturday, November 26, 2005

Wear your seatbelt

"Wear your seatbelt" are words to live by.

So are "Drive safely," "Steer into the turn" and "Brake steadily."

And, finally, "Slow down."

Those are the words I learned to pay closer attention to after my trip over Interstate 90 and Snoqualmie Pass Friday morning. I spun out in the middle of the freeway, a full 180-degree turn.

In the far left lane, strangely all alone on this stretch of roadway, I caught a bit of slushy snow and began to fishtail. As I slid into the center lane, I began to turn around. I hit the brakes -- thankful for the antilock system. I spun further around, actually travelling backward, and I absolutely expected to hit the Jersey barrier rapidly approaching on the passenger side. I braced for impact.

But I didn't hit it.

I came to a complete stop just inches -- inches -- from the concrete barricade, completely astonished that I had avoided a collision. No other cars approached, and two breaths later, I decided I better turn my car around and get back on my way.

Less than a mile later, I exited to the summit and took just a few minutes to collect myself and stop shaking. I am pretty danged lucky.

The rest of the trip was, and my return trip to Wenatchee will be, filled with safe driving techniques and more caution.

So, heed some words and be careful, slow down and don't pump those brakes.

-- Seattle