Saturday, November 12, 2005

A memorable day for our student press

Today was a memorable one at the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in Chicago. With two great awards ceremonies and some crazy weather, I think it has been a convention to remember.

The Apple Leaf newspaper has earned a second consecutive National Pacemaker award, one of just a couple dozen in the nation to receive the honor. The Pacemaker is sometimes referred to as the Pulitzer Prize of scholastic journalism.

The Apple Leaf also earned 10th place in the Best of Show contest -- but in the newsmagazine category. Interestingly, I forgot to check the category box when I submitted the form on Thursday, and when I went back to do so on Friday, apparently it never was done properly (the paper had already been moved from the desk area). So someone must have classified it as a newsmagazine. It's an honest mistake -- the paper has a large feature photo on Page 1, but there is also a news story. The students feel strongly this is a newspaper. While 10th place is nothing to be disappointed with, I wonder how the paper would have farfed against the other newspapers, especially since this was a 24-page edition. I have spun this as "We can win in two categories" and "We defy classification." I sense a t-shirt in the future.

The Wa Wa yearbook earned fifth place in the yearbook Best of Show contest for 2005 books with 225-324 pages. This is the first placement in Best of Show for the yearbook in the eight editions I have advised, and I am confident in saying it is the highest placing ever for our book. It was also a featured book at our publishing company's booth, and I saw several people looking it over.

Earlier, at the advisers' luncheon, I was recognized as one of four advisers receiving the Distinguished Adviser Award from the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund as part of its teacher recognition program. As part of another award, where excerpts from my nomination letter were read, the reader mispronouned my last name (again). The coup de grace was when I received my DJNF plaque -- a nice molded one, not engraved -- that I noticed my name was misspelled. Still, neither incident could tarnish the great honor of the award.

After the awards ceremonies, the students and I celebrated with a trip to a very Chicago destination: Navy Pier. Only problem was the few drops of rain during the walk that turned into a downpour and severe winds within about a half mile. It was not pleasant. Undoubtedly, the students will remember the wet and blustery walk for many years. We arrived at the pier and had some authentic hot dogs, shopped for a bit at the souvenier shops and took cabs back to the hotel.

Earlier, a colleague of mine from another school and I waled around the downtown area, and did some sightseeing at Marshall Fields, which is one big department store. Today was the unveiling of the Christmas decorations, the display windows in a Cinderella theme and a huge tree that was three stories tall. It was all very nice. I bought a neck tie.

All in all, a memorable day.

-- Chicago

2 comments:

Holly G said...

Congrats, L! AND to your staff.

You make us all proud.

K & T

Uberlander said...

Way to go! See all those late nights pay off.