Monday, November 07, 2005

EFF lies and truth-bending

I received this e-mail from the Evergreen Freedom Foundation, a "think tank" based on Olympia, Wash., whose primary mission is to dismantle the public school teachers' union in the name of workers' rights. If that is not the biggest load of Doublespeak, I don't know what is.

So I provide the message here with my commentary in italics:

Dear Teacher:

It's that time of year again! Don't forget to request a refund from the Washington Education Association (WEA) for the percentage of your dues it spends on politics and other activities not representing you on your job.
(Actually, the WEA does represent me and my interests.)

While the WEA provides workplace representation services many teachers value, it admits to spending approximately 25 percent of your dues dollars influencing the outcome of elections and political controversies. Some of these activities are consistent with your views. Others are not.
(Most are, though. And because I believe in the democratic system of representation on which our nation was founded and not the my-way-or-leave mentality of the "entitlement generation," I accept that not every decision will be one with which I agree. If I disagree, I can also voice my disagreement or work to change the status quo through involvement.)

WEA and NEA officials admit they overcharge for "workplace representation" by about $200 per teacher each year.
(Perhaps "overcharge" is not the best term to use. That amount is what is not spent on direct representation. The remiander is advocacy on behalf of members' interests.)

If you disagree with the way the WEA spends this part of your dues, there are two options available.

1. Become an "Agency Fee Payer."
2. Become a "Religious Objector."

Agency fee payers are entitled to a refund of union dues. Apply for the refund by filing out the union resignation letter at the bottom of this e-mail. Send it to the WEA and a copy to your local union. For more information, please visit www.myrefund.com.

Alternatively, if you object to supporting union activities based on a personal religious belief, you may become a religious objector. Unions must accommodate your religious beliefs and allow you to redirect 100 percent of your dues to a charity. To learn more about this option and the controversial activities the union supports with your money, go to: www.ichoosecharity.org.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Have a great holiday season!
(The only question I have is: Why don't you all spend your time on something more valuable? Each WEA member has a chance to become involved in all areas of the union. Those who are dissatisfied should work to change the association, not just take their dues and go home, leaving the rest of us to fight for them but without their funds. What kind of values does the EFF really advocate?)

Sincerely,


Michael Reitz
Evergreen Freedom Foundation
P.O. Box 552 | Olympia, WA 98507
info@effwa.org
-- Wenatchee, Wash.

4 comments:

Holly G said...

Thanks L

--CIB

Uberlander said...

Just think...you got to sit next to one of their big wigs at my wedding. I was instructed by my union president to hit reply and type "remove" in the subject box. So I did.

Bifferoo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bifferoo said...

Just as an aside... the Evergreen Freedom Foundation and the Electronic Frontier Foundation are completely different EFFs. I've got an EFF member bumpersticker on my car, and I was feeling like I'd been duped into joining a bum organization. I couldn't see Logan being that upset about Electronic Frontier Foundation emails. Glad to hear it was a acronym accident.