Friday, November 25, 2005

Thankful for Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving, yes I do. It is a holiday steeped in tradition without being too restrictive. It is a truly American day, and one with American values -- such as eating to excess, sloth and family all followed by a day of shocking consumerism. What is more American?

My Thanksgiving started at about 9 a.m. when I awoke without benefit of an alarm. I lazed for a while then began to cook my dinner. Yes, I prepare a holiday feast from Safeway. And I eat it all (not in one sitting, though). Some of my friends and coworkers and students have questioned my Thanksgiving plans. They wonder aloud whether I would not prefer to be with friends or family. I reply simply that I like to do my own thing.

For me, Thanksgiving is a day even more special than my birthday (when I don't do much of anything extra special). It is a day off from work when I need it, a day of eating which I love, and a day full of no expectations. On Thanksgiving, people don't expect you to work or return e-mail messages or pay your bills or meet them for coffee or anything. They just expect you to eat.

The meal and wine were followed by a movie waiting for several weeks from Netflix ("The Hudsucker Proxy") and later a trip to the cinema to see "Rent." All in all, a festive day.

So those of you who got stuck with your families and into arguments or endured whiny kids or a boring football game when you wanted to watch something else, I encourage you to consider the Loganite Thanksgiving next year. I certainly had plenty of offers (some genuine and others prompted out of pity, I am sure), but I was happy to decline them all. Undoubtedly, some will think I am weird. I prefer the term "quirky."

Not eating turkey on Thanksgiving, now that's weird!

-- Seattle

1 comment:

Dr Pezz said...

If you ever become wealthy, we'll call you "eccentric."

It's funny how you and I can see Thanksgiving so differently. It's my favorite holiday for exactly the opposite reasons you stated. I love the togetherness of the day, the making of the meal together, and even the dish-washing afterwards.

By the way, did you hear about the Native American group fasting and mourning the Plymouth Rock landing? They sat at the site all day and lamented the arrival of the Mayflower. It has sparked quite a debate up in New England.