Saturday, July 30, 2005

Travelin' governor

Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire visited Wenatchee twice this week. Tuesday she made a side trip from a visit to Ellensburg in order to visit a fire that started in Badger Mountain wheat field. Although the fire did potentially threaten some homes to the south, early reports erroniously reported that 50 homes had been evacuated. Nonetheless, it was nice to have Gov. Gregoire here to draw attention to the dry conditions that can and have made summers tense in rural forest and mountain areas. This has been an abnormal year in that no major wildfires have started in the area.

The governor returned Thursday for a previously scheduled visit to address a Rotary club, the Labor Council and a Latino adult education program at Wenatchee Valley College. I think Gov. Gregoire has done a fine job of spending time in Eastern Washington to show she is the governor of the entire state, not just the Puget Sound area where she earned the most votes. She had been in Ellensburg to approve a wind farm for electrical power generation, something that may only be approved by the governor. Gov. Gregoire understands the issues important to Eastern Washington and rural residents (especially transportation concerns), and I think she's had a fine first half year in office.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad she didn't actually win the election. She shouldn't even be in office.

Loganite said...

This is getting so old.

The first count showed Dino Rossi won more votes, but the margin triggered an automatic machine recount.

That machine recount closed the gap between the candidates with Rossi still ahead. The losing candidate has the right to request a hand recount if he or she pays for it -- unless the outcome changes. Christine Gregoire made the request, the state Democrats paid the money, and the hand count showed her to be the winner.

The Republicans and Rossi chose to contest the results in court -- that was their right -- and they and the Democrats showed hundreds of votes were improperly cast and included in candidate totals. However there was no way to show who those candidates voted for. Actually, five felons said who they voted for -- four for Rossi and one for the Libertarian candidate, Ruth Bennett. So, Gregoire actually won by 133 votes instead of the 129 votes as indicated by the hand recount.

So, we know who won the election. All the votes were counted. Maybe some should not have been, but we don't know for whom those votes were cast. So Christine Gregoire is the properly elected governor until 2009.

May I also point out the main difference between this election and the 2000 Florida recount in the presidential election. In that case, the U.S. Supreme Court ultimately stopped a hand recount. So, we don't actually have accurate totals. Ballot handling and the deterioration of punch-card ballots also complicated things.

So don't get all superior about who should not be in office. Christine Gregoire won an election. George W. Bush did not clearly win, he just was ahead when the Supreme Court made them stop counting.

-- L.

Anonymous said...

Do you keep deleting my posts? My posts aren't even offense and I try to do a good job of keeping them that way. I just like to argue politics because I learn and because it's fun and good discussion.

What about the lead shot tax proposal and the lead shot ban proposal?

Loganite said...

I don't know what has happened with the posts. I receive an e-mail message for each comment posted, and I receved several duplicates today. The posts were on the site when I viewed it, but whenj Iposted a comment in response, yours were gone. I did not delete any posts. Even so, when I do, the blog shows that a post has been deleted by the administrator (me).

By the way, I don't generally delete any posts, even those I find ridiculous or poorly written. I have deleted some posts when the writers point out a spelling error. I fix the error and delete the notification. I also have deleted posts that use profanity to attack an individual. This is not a free-for-all forum; we should abide by some decorum.

So, Adam, no I did not delete your posts. Perhaps it is a glitch at the server, and we'll see them appear soon.

-- L.

Anonymous said...

I know this is old but i felt like i needed to get my bit in so I must say that i agree with the person who posted the first comment and am undoubtedly ashamed of how the case was handled..she is definately my "so-called govenor"...and the dems better watch out...Dino is on rise and he will be back just wait and see!