Monday, July 04, 2005

229 and counting!

July 4, 1776, a bunch of the greatest Americans ever worked on giving King George and the British a big old "Buzz off!" in a genteel and calligraphic way. They even used parchment. The Brits, of course, were peeved and sent some soldiers to put down the colonial uprising. Well, it didn't work, and a few years later, America became the land of the free and the home of the brave. Still later, these same men penned one of the finest pieces of writing and philosophy ever crafted. They were truly the "greatest generation."

Today, some 229 years later, we celebrate the founding of our nation. We celebrate the freedoms and values that unite us as Americans. We honor those who came before us. We display the symbols of our nation. We use fireworks to symbolize the battles that our ancestors fought for independence and also to boldly declare our happiness about freedom and independence. Oh man, do I love fireworks. Someday, I'll be on the Mall in Washington watching A Capitol Fourth or on the Esplanade in Boston listening to the Boston Pops at the bandshell. Even the most partly-cloudy of patriots, the biggest cynics, can't help but to swell with a bit of nationalism at the great music accompanied by our nation's finests symphonies. Gotta love that!

But increasingly, we use this day, July 4, as a reason to take a day off, to have a furniture or half-yearly appparel sale. I've been listening to many commercials, reading many newspaper pages, and I have seen very little that refers to the day by its actual name: Independence Day. I am a quiet and personal patriot, but frankly, it kind of bugs me to hear people say "Happy Fourth of July!" I sing along with the national anthem when the band plays it, my hand covering my heart respectfully. I don't like using the flag on ties or paper napkins. You shouldn't wipe your mouth on the flag. Don't get me wrong -- I'll defend your right to do it, but I don't think it's right.

One e-mail from a distribution I subscribe to asked us to remember the people who serve to preserve our freedoms. Man, how many holidays do we use to honor the servicepeople? Veterans Day, Memorial Day and now also Independence Day? We didn't even have much of a military when we declared independence. Independence Day covers so much more than people in military service.

So forgive me if I ask people to put down that hot dog and Bud. Before you light up that sparkler, remember that this is a day to celebrate independence and freedom; for truth, justice and the American way; of We the People. It's a day when we should pay attention to the words of President Bill Clinton from his first inaugural address: "There is nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what is right with America."

I'll wave the flag to that.

-- Peoria, Ariz.

No comments: