Saturday, May 21, 2005

Drive past 'Hitchhiker's Guide'

I used Friday as my personal day (each teacher is allowed one per year), and I needed it badly. So I lazily did my morning routine, disappointed that the weather was not as nice as I would have liked. But the car now is free from all dust and bird droppings as a result of the heavy rain I drove through.

I settled on a showing of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" Friday afternoon. It was reasonably entertaining, but I thought the plot dragged in a couple places and that the characters were inserted just for weirdness sake. Perhaps these tangents are less disruptive when reading a book, but some trimming could have benefitted the film. The last third gets to be pretty good. The opening is OK, too.

In short, probably a better DVD rental, as I also imagine that it will contain some excellent background materials and extras on Douglas Adams and the long journey he took in making this film (even after his death).

-- Seattle, Wash.

No comments: