Monday, May 30, 2005

Construction woes

The home behind me and one house west burned last October. It was apparently a historic home that had been moved to this site from a previous location in town. When most people hear the term "historic home" they think of a Victorian house with lots of gingerbread decorating the eaves and a big porch and stuff like that. This house was just old. And it burned -- partially. So for the last few months, there has been slow progress to remove the burned portions and replace them, even addinga second floor. I think it is the family doing the reconstruction, so the pace is slower.

In the last few weeks, work has increased significantly. This weekend, the walls went up, as did the MDF board to make the walls. I drove by the front yesterday just to see how it was coming, and roof trusses had been installed. Should not be long before the roof is on and interior work commences.

But the banging is driving me nuts. I am not sure which is worse, the annoying German shepard that lived behind me for two years and barked loudly and incessantly or the banging and thumping of the compressor that is loud when I am relaxing in the back yard. At least I can settle for the knowledge that it should be over soon, and I can have peace in my backyard again.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: