Saturday, October 07, 2006

Slimming down

Thursday at 7:05 a.m. a simple act not only brightened my day but put me in a good mood for hours. During the past week I have worked my way through my closet wearing shirt-and0tie combinations that I have not used in a while, and avoiding doing laundry by wearing ]some garments I have not worn in a while. Finally, Wednesday I did all the laundry, thinking I had worn all the combos possible.

Then, Thursday morning I spied a pair of brown pants that have hung in the closet for a couple years. I bought these pants a couple years ago in one of those times when I just grabbed a pair off the shelf thinking I could just find my size and assume they fit fine. They didn't fit fine. They were a little snug across the rear and through the thigh, even though they have pleats. Honestly, they looked weird, and they were obviously cut for someone slimmer than I was when I bought them. Hoping I would fit in them, I kept them and I tried them on a few times over the past couple years.

But Thursday morning was the day. You've probably already figured out that they fit. And the euphoria I experienced was nothing short of glorious. What an exciting moment to have such tangible evidence that one is getting slimmer. I've been working on a few small methods of losing some weight and getting slimmer, and over the past few months I have dropped just a few extra pounds. I knew I was on the right track in July when I was sick and weighed at the medical center. The scale read less than I thought, but I figured that was just because of being sick. But, I have continued to lose a bit of weight while increasing the few pushups and weights I do daily. It's amazing what one moment and a pair of pants can do for self-esteem, energy and the feeling one has throughout the day.

I'm still working, but I know that if I stay the course I will be closer every day toward my goal for health and wellness. Those brown pants are the symbol so far. A pair of jeans in a bag on the closet floor is the motivation to keep going.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always feels good to lose weight! For the record though, you can't lose weight by lifting weights or doing pushups unless you are lifting light amounts for long periods of time (aerobic).

Anonymous said...

Actually, an increase in muscle mass leads to an increase in resting metabolism, which causes one to lose stored fat. Therefore, lifting and pushups can, in fact, lead to a dramatic shift in body composition.

Anonymous said...

Did you jump and do a little kick, ive got good money down that you did