Saturday, May 13, 2006

You can call me 'Master'

Today is Graduation Day. No, not at the school where I work but at the University of Missouri in Columbia. I've finished my Master of Education degree, and I have graduated. But I am not in Columbia, Mo., today -- too expensive to go all that way just for a ceremony. Yet, today is Graduation Day.

So, today I reflect on where I have been these last two years and where I am headed as a result of the learning I have gained. The piece of paper I have earned and will receive soon is a measure of a goal achieved. I set this goal several years ago -- to have the degree by age 30. I later revised it to be started by 30. I reached that (by a few days) and have actually finished a semester ahead of the program schedule due to a course transfer. Online learning worked beautifully for me.

During the two years I studied in this program, I learned a lot about myself, saw as I changed both as a teacher and learner as well as a person, became better at what I do at the same time struggling to just get by with what I was hired to do, and became a night owl and online regular. I have gained a lot, sacrificed some and ranked this experience among my best. I am proud to be able to say I set and met my goal, that I did more than what was expected or even than was required.

Today is Graduation Day, and though I may not be in my black robe and mortarboard with light blue hood, I am there in spirit. Today, I can say I have achieved. I am happy to join the alumni of the University of Missouri, Columbia, the nation's first and finest journalism school. Some day I may even get to see the campus.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

2 comments:

Dr Pezz said...

Congrats! I hope to join the Master Club on Christmas Eve when my courses conclude.

WHS Cheer Girl said...

Count me in as being one of those who is truly proud of you! BTW, thanks for clearing it up that we don't have to call you "Master." Changing your name in my address book would make a mess.

CONGRATS!