Saturday, May 13, 2006

Blog shoutout

A fellow media adviser, Jeff Nusser, sent me an e-mail announcing his new Weblog, which is described below. The guy is a former sports reporter and now advises media at a high school in Pierce County, Washington. And he does a fantastic job. His blog is about sports, of course, so it's of little interest to me mainly because I don't much care for or know about sports. But I thought I would give it a little publicity. Check it out.

From Jeff:
Yes, it's true -- I have joined the throngs of those seeking to publish their thoughts and musings on the Internet. The new blog is called Hangin' With The Nuss (corny, I know -- blame News Tribune writer Craig Hill; the title was his idea a loooong time ago) and it can be found at hanginwithnuss.blogspot.com.

In a move that hardly will be surprising to any of you, it's a sports-focused site that will feature commentary from myself on the different issues in the sports world with a special eye turned toward Seattle sports. The idea is to create a place where Seattle sports fans can get together and dialogue in a fun way by posting comments about the travails and triumphs of their favorite franchises.

Why would I step out and do something so potentially embarassing? Mostly, I miss writing. Ever since I stopped being a full-time sports journalist five years ago, I've always wanted to figure out a way to keep writing. I've been able to do that a bit by freelancing, but mostly I just get to do fluffy feature stories. This is an opportunity to do some commentary writing on subjects that I find interesting. Oddly enough, I actually was inspired after going to see a new literature reading series last week that was organized by an educator friend -- I figured if he can take a step out for something he's passionate about, I could too. This blog is a result of that. Besides, as you know, if there's anyone that has an opinion on just about everything sports ... it's me.

I have no delusions of grandeur where thousands of loyal readers are hanging on my every word; mostly I'd be happy if a few people read it every once in a while and left thoughtful comments when they did.

So, if you like sports, please check it out -- the first post is up, analyzing the Mariners' series against the Devil Rays and why the 14 runs they scored in their two wins aren't necessarily a portent of future offensive success. And if you like what you see -- whether you agree or disagree with my assessment -- leave a comment ... and tell a friend.
Enjoy.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: