Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Spring -- finally

Spring Break began at 3 p.m. Friday, but it has hardly been spring-like weather. I avoided yardwork Saturday morning because of the rain, but I finally got some maintenance done out there Monday morning. I fertilized the lawn and shook a few seeds out there, covered with sphagnum; planted some new plants in the back beds and front yard; and checked the front drip systems. It all happened just in time for a big rain yesterday afternoon and evening, which was just what was necessary.

That rain yesterday has made way for a glorious morning -- a crisp sunny day full of potential. I have lots of projects planned for the remaining days of the break, and I am sure I will be disappointed by the things I don't get to. But the idea of having just 10 weeks remaining of classes is one that energizes me. It will go by quickly, I am sure -- just as it always does.

The spring is a time for renewal and re-evaluation. For me, it is my favorite season, a time of potential and of rejuvenation. Each day is longer and warmer than the last, and I love the green hillsides and fresh smells that hang in the valley.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: