Thursday, April 20, 2006

San Francisco Day 1

I am used to traveling with students. This is my 14th national journalism convention, and my ninth with students. Generally there are few problems, and I know how to anticipate most potential ones.

Leaving Seattle was flawless, and the short flight on Southwest to Oakland was fine, too. The travel from the airport was a bit more hectic. I forget that some students need extra guidance with getting a bus and subway ticket, and it's sometimes hard to keep the group of 10 kids and me together. But, we all got on the bus, and then the subway -- even after a few wrong turns on
the platform and one girl who had her ticket stolen by a persuasive swindler who was trying to "help" her (and she naively accepted).

Coming up at Powell Street in San Francisco from the subway, my group was immediately accosted by a couple street people who were handing out maps and again being "helpful" by working for tips for their advice. I was not prepared for the aggressive attention -- they accompanied us for three blocks. I was starting to get just a bit worried at that point. But, we finally found the hotel, its small awning tucked among a row of low-cost restaurants on a busy street.

Let me say from the beginning that the hotel is more modest than I expected. In some ways it is downright crappy. The beds are fine -- new bedding -- and the bathroom has been recently remodeled. The rest, though, leaves a bit to be desired. I'm on the second floor, sharing with a pal of mine from Olympia, and the Quizno's sign is just outside my window. The only view is of a beautiful theater across the street. It is a modest and no-frills hotel. I am glad I brought my own bottle of shampoo, or I would have been out of luck. Last night I don't know which was worse: the rattling window or the street noise.

We walked to the Hilton a block away, where the convention is held, and it was a dramatic difference -- this Hilton is even more Hilton-y than most. It's posh. I suspect we'll be hanging out there a lot.

I thanked all my students in advance for withholding their complaints. The lower cost of this hotel allowed us to come in a night early, so we can have a full day of sightseeing.
On the agenda today is Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf. The weather looks remarkable mellow for San Francisco, so I anticipate a swell day.

-- San Francisco

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Loag, it's Craig. Hope you're havin a blast in San Fran. Is Susan there? Congrats on you and her, by the way. Hey, I just found out that my parents are gonna be gone for two weeks in June, so we're gonna have to have a kegger or sumthin'. Just like old times at C-Woo. C-Woo! C-Woo! Anyways, I guess I'll talk to you later or sumthin'.

Anonymous said...

Loag it is BOBBY! Who was the stupid girl who got her ticket stolen. It was Holly wasn't it?