Thursday, April 14, 2005

The new offering from Sarah Vowell

I am a Sarah Vowell fan. Oh sure, some latecomers may be fond of her perfornamce as Violet Parr in "The Incredibles" last year. But I know her from "The Partly Cloudy Patriot" and "Take the Cannoli" -- and of course public radio's "This American Life."

But now she has a new book, and though I am not finished with it, I am laughing with each reading sitting. Assassination Vacation a story of Vowell's travels in search of facts, clues, insights and creepy bits of history that compose the web of assassinations of three American presidents: Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield and William McKinley. With her usual style, Vowell blends a love for history, explanation of obscure trivia, left-leaning politics and a geeky love for the quirky. And she is funny.

Check it out.

Bonus: I am going to see her for a reading at Elliott Bay Book Company April 29. Can't wait, since I missed her on "Late Show" a couple weeks ago.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: