Thursday, April 14, 2005

A journalistic weekend in Seattle

I took nine students to the national high school journalism convention in Seattle April 7-10. This trip was easier in some ways because the travel was significantly less difficult to plan than trips to Phoenix, San Francisco or San Diego have been. On the other hand, I was on the convention planning committee, so there was plenty to keep me busy. Highlights, in digest form, appear below.

Thursday was our sightseeing day, but we changed plans due to the rain. At registration, I distributed four cases of apples, courtesy of Stemilt Growers, to weary travelers and other guests at the convention. The apples -- Pink Lady, Cameo and Fuji varieties -- were very well reveived. Even the Michigan people liked them, and those folks grow their own apples. Convention-goers have ribbons on the nametag indicating various titles or roles. I was ribbed by my adviser friends for having five ribbons. Yes, five: Master Journalism Educator, Judge, Speaker, Local Committee and Pacemaker Finalist (for the yearbook). One friend even started calling me "Admiral."

The Thursday night reception had some fantastic jazz -- a combo of students from Mountlake Terrace and Roosevelt high schools, known for their outstanding jazz programs. I requested "Seven Steps to Heaven," and the combo knew the tune. The local committee was recognized, and we each received a sharp purple windbreaker with the convention logo embroidered on the chest. I was also named Washington Journalism Adviser of the Year. Thanks to my students for nominating me.

Friday was a great day. I started with meeting (again) writer Hank Stuever, who came all the way from Washington, D.C., for the convention. He is great, and I love his book, "Off Ramp," which is available in paperback this summer. Then I met Margaret Larson, who is a former Dateline NBC correspondant who now works as a consultant for the international aid agencies Mercy Corps and World Vision. She spoke to a room packed with about 150 students about why media should cover more substantive topics: poverty in Africa instead of Michael Jackson. She repeated much of her talk an hour later where she was the speaker at the advisers' luncheon. She is funny, articulate, a smooth speaker with a message. Most of all, she is real and honest. I chatted her up during the entire lunch. She was also very gracious to donate her time to speak to us. After lunch I listened to and met David Horsey, who, after a technical problem with the digital projector, was very entertaining and funny. I chatted with him after, and he was nice enough to donate a signed book for our auction. He had also donated some original cartoon artwork. I bought it for a very nice price -- but it all benefitted the Student Press Law Center. I am sorry I could not see all the featured speakers I had arranged, and I am not trying to be a name-dropper. I just was pleased with the quality of folks we had available.

Saturday was a blur, so I don't remember much. My friend Kelly Allen organized a thorough presentation about teacher rights for advisers. I am sure people who attended learned a lot. After I presented myself on week-by-week coverage in yearbooks, I hosted a presentation from Tom Peyer, which I thought some of the less-mainstream kids enjoyed. Saturday afternoon, we did not earn a Yearbook pacemaker, but it really was an honor just to be nominated. We did not place in newspaper or yearbook Best of Show, either. The evening at the Experience Music Project was fantastic, and people loved it. I am so pleased that our Seattle committee was ambitious and was also able to pull off most of what we planned. A real reward was seeing students chat with professional journalists I had arrranged as speakers, a chance to really interact and get advice. I think there was something for everyone.

Sunday two students earned honorable mentions: one in poetry writing and one in editorial writing. That was cool. Then we came home, and I was exhausted. Even a few days later I am still not caught up with my housework, sleep or chores around the yard. The weekend can't come fast enough.

Next convention is in Chicago in November. Since I have never been to the City with Broad Shoulders, I'm already planning.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: