Wednesday, August 16, 2006

George Allen is a boob

Sen. George Allen, a Republican from Virginia and also that state's former governor, is hoping to be the next president of the United States. But firs, he must get re-elected to the Senate this year, and the campaign to do so is making him look like he just might inherit the mantle of "Biggest Dummy" from another George we all know.

Last weekend, Sen. Allen used a racial epithet to refer to a young man who was videotaping him at a campaign appearance. The young man, of Indian descent, was working for the campaign of Democrat James Webb, Allen's opponent, and was following and taping Allen -- a common campaign practice. Allen referred to the young man as "macaca," which has varying definitions from a monkey to a slur against African Americans. In any case, it sure is not a nice term, and the excuse from the Allen campaign is that the senator thought he was using the term for the young man's hair -- a mohawk or mullet. Right.

Read Slates's analysis here.

If you want to watch the video for yourself, check out YouTube as well.

The sad part is that Rob Corrdery of "The Daily Show" had it right on that show's bit: It is not clear whether this incident will help or hurt Allen in Virginia or around the country.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha Logan said boob!!!!

Anonymous said...

Logan, you haven't updated this for a month. What's going on?

Anonymous said...

Logan,

The person who is writing this comment is the funniest person you have ever had in class. I'm funny and you know it.

This is the best way to get a hold of you that I know of. You should send me your e-mail in a message on facebook so that we can chat all the time.

Actually, the reason I am writing is because I am deeply hurt. From what I understand you have given Kevin, Krista, and God knows who else a call about the status of last years yearbook. Under the assumption I was under, I myself was a high ranking official on the yearbook staff. Yet you decide not to call me. Why? I don't understand. Was is something I said, possibly an action I took. Sometimes it's just nice to be recognized.

You better write me back on facebook or call me or something loag or else!

RS

Anonymous said...

Ryley is so funny sometimes