Thursday, March 02, 2006

Oscar Picks

Longtime Loganite fans know I love my film. I go to a lot of movies -- usually in Seattle or when I travel to Phoenix. The best part about the films in 2005 was that it shaped up to be a great year on screen. It has been a few years since I have seen so many of the nominated films and performances (Thank you, Netflix, for the DVDs of films that came out in limited release early in the tear). So, here are my comments on this year's Oscars. I have listed my predicted winner and my own vote.

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Good Night, and Good Luck.
Munich
Prediction: Brokeback Mountain
My Own Vote: Brokeback Mountain
This is, hands down, the best film of the year. Its themes, its composition and its performances make it a standout among strong films. I sure liked Capote and Good Night, and Good Luck., and Crash could also be a dark horse, but I think Hollywood is ready to make Brokeback Mountain its film of the year.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote
Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain
Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line
David Strathairn for Good Night, and Good Luck.
Prediction: Philip Seymour Hoffman
My Own Vote: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Hoffman literally became Truman Capote for the role, and the film's success hinges on that performance. Joaquin Phoenix is a strong second place as Johnny Cash, but I think it is just a year of too many strong performances.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Judi Dench for Mrs. Henderson Presents
Felicity Huffman for Transamerica
Keira Knightley for Pride & Prejudice
Charlize Theron for North Country
Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line
Prediction: Reese Witherspoon
My Own Vote: Felicity Huffman
Oscar is all about whose turn it is. Witherspoon certainly gave a phenomenal performance, and Huffman has not paid her dues in feature films. Still, her performance as a transgender man is moving and amazing.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
George Clooney for Syriana
Matt Dillon for Crash
Paul Giamatti for Cinderella Man
Jake Gyllenhaal for Brokeback Mountain
William Hurt for A History of Violence
Prediction: George Clooney
My Own Vote: Matt Dillon deserves a nod, if only as recognition of the plethora of wonderful performances by the entire cast of Crash. Jake Gyllenhall's role was basically a secondary leading role, as was Clooney's, but the Academy will want to recognize Clooney's amazing year in film.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams for Junebug
Catherine Keener for Capote
Frances McDormand for North Country
Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams for Brokeback Mountain
Prediction: Rachel Weisz
My Own Vote: Amy Adams
I absolutely loved Amy Adams and Junebug! She made that movie so entertaining -- just the right touch. Michelle Williams earned a nomination in the Brokeback Mountain frenzy, but her performance was not that notable. Catherine Keener was fantastic in Capote, too.

Best Achievement in Directing
George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck.
Paul Haggis for Crash
Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain
Bennett Miller for Capote
Steven Spielberg for Munich
Prediction: Ang Lee
My Own Vote: Ang Lee
All the other films were well directed, but I can't see how a film can get Best Picture and not have its director also win. Lee's beautiful and spareshots build the tension in this story. Well done.

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Crash
Good Night, and Good Luck.
Match Point
The Squid and the Whale
Syriana
Prediction: Good Night, and Good Luck.
My Own Vote: Good Night, and Good Luck.
The blend of real footage with acting is masterful. The script inspires. Dark horse: Crash, again.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
The Constant Gardener
A History of Violence
Munich
Prediction: Brokeback Mountain
My Own Vote: Brokeback Mountain
Hands down. Duh.

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Batman Begins
Brokeback Mountain
Good Night, and Good Luck.
Memoirs of a Geisha
The New World
Prediction: Brokeback Mountain
My Own Vote: Brokeback Mountain
The shots are amazing. Still, wouldn't it be cool if Batman Begins won an Oscar?

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Memoirs of a Geisha
Mrs. Henderson Presents
Pride & Prejudice
Walk the Line
Prediction: Memoirs of a Geisha
My Own Vote: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Colleen Atwood should win again. By the way, she grew up near Wenatchee, and her sister works for the school district. But, I loved Charlie's look, and it was fun.

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Brokeback Mountain
The Constant Gardener
Memoirs of a Geisha
Munich
Pride & Prejudice
Prediction: Brokeback Mountain
My Own Vote: Brokeback Mountain
Honestly, I saw three of these five, and I only remember the score from Brokeback Mountain. Maybe The Constant Gardener will make a strong showing.

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Hustle & Flow -- Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman, Paul Beauregard ("It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp")
Crash -- Michael Becker, Kathleen York ("In the Deep")
Transamerica -- Dolly Parton ("Travelin' Thru")
Prediction: I have no idea
My Own Vote: Dolly Parton
This song was only used during the end credits, but it was sweet. But, wouldn't it be cool to have a big ol' rap song win an Oscar?

Best Achievement in Makeup
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Cinderella Man
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Prediction: I have no idea.
My Own Vote: Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Best Achievement in Sound
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
King Kong
Memoirs of a Geisha
Walk the Line
War of the Worlds
Prediction: King Kong
My Own Vote:King Kong
Dude, if that movie can't win a sound award, nothing can. Still, when Walk the Line is all about sound and music, it could be a favorite.

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
King Kong
Memoirs of a Geisha
War of the Worlds
Prediction: I have no idea.
My Own Vote: King Kong, again.

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
King Kong
War of the Worlds
Prediction: King Kong
My Own Vote: King Kong
That movie is entirely visual effects. However, what I saw of Narnia was also impressive.


It should be a fun evening of awards. And, with Jon Stewart as the host, things will at least be interesting when the awards part starts to drag.

I'll check back Sunday to update my ballot and show whether I was on the mark or way off.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Brokeback Mountain" is about gay cowboys.