Sunday, October 09, 2005

I go out walking

Except for a few months in 1996 and a few more in 1997, I have always live in a small town, close to work, close to my needs. I grew up in Ellensburg, Wash., a place that is exceptionally friendly to walkers and bikers alike. I walked to school starting in second grade -- we lived just about six blocks from my first elementary school. In third grade, I changed schools, but I continued to walk the 13 blocks to school despite several frightening dogs and some very cold mornings. In fourth grade I began to ride my bike to school, something about which I was very excited, and a habit I continued through high school. Well, except for my half of my sophomore year, but that is complicated.

Even into college, I rode my bike, and I walked all around campus. I never owned a motor vehicle until I was 20, and my first used car at 21. Yes, I am a walker, and I like it.

Yet when I moved to Wenatchee, I found myself driving everywhere. I had grown accustomed to it because of a short residence in western Washington, and now I had my first professional job and a new car. I liked driving. I missed walking, but I lived too far from school for a walk to be convenient with all I had to carry and with my late hours. That is until I bought my current house, which is just four blocks from school. I've lived here three years and have never walked a full week to school. Until now.

I walked to school every day for two weeks, and I felt good for doing it. Well, one day I drove because I had an appointment right after school, but I rode my bike back to school for an activity later.) There is something nice about a morning walk -- a chance to prepare for the day, a chance to greet the sun and to breathe in the crisp, musky scent if autumn as I walk briskly along with my day's work and lunch slung across my back.

And, it turns out that last week was also National Walk to School Week. Heck, I am glad when I can walk more than I drive, and I even was part of a national awareness campaign last week.

I drove to Seattle this weekend, and I drained my gas tank to fumes on the return trip. I filled it up this morning at the gas station nearby. It cost $41. For unleaded regular. I guess I have done mostly topping off during the last month or so. When I first got the car in 1997, I recall paying just $16 to fill up. Just a few months before that, gas was 92 cents a gallon, and I recall balking on my cross-country journey home to Washington when I would see gas at $1.13 per gallon.

Gas is almost $3 per gallon. I have commented often to friends and coworkers that anything under $3 is not outrageous, especially when we pay $1.25 for a pint of bottled water or $2.75 for a fancy coffee (let alone $3.50 for a child-size pop at the cinema). Still, $41 has a bit of a sting. It's enough to convince a guy to walk to work.

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

No comments: