Sunday, November 05, 2006

'Borat' is offensively funny

I am so glad I had the chance to laugh my pants off Saturday night when I saw the new movie "Borat" in Seattle. The auditorium was packed, which is always nice when the crowd responds well to the humor on screen.

This movie blows "Jackass" away. It is far beyond a Christopher Guest mockmentary. It is hilarious. Just when I thought that singing the Kazakhi national anthem (sassy new words to our own tune) ar a rodeo was over the top, there is the naked wrestling match, the poop situation at a Southern mansion and the Pamela Anderson abduction. How this movie even got made despite more than 50 police interruptions is amazing.

In a few spots I had no idea whether I should even be laughing. I mean, some of that stuff is offensive! When I was involved in the state leadership program, one of the staff members developed a presentation on humor and a diagram that displayed varying levels of humor on a pyramid. The lower and less-offensive types, such as self-deprication, were at the bottom, and the pinnacle of the pyramid contained the types most likely to offend, such as racial and geneder humor. Let's just say "Borat" balances on the very tip of that pyramid. But just because it is offensive does not mean it ain't funny. It is. And gross.

See it if you can!

-- Wenatchee, Wash.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funniest and most disturbing movie I have seen in a long time. I loved looking at the audience during the naked scene and watching everyone squirming and partialy covering their faces.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this movie, but I've seen the "Best of Borat" from the TV show...and it's simply not funny. The guy's voice is annoying and cliche, the delivery is horrible...all of Borat's skits look like a low-grade SNL filler skit. I'll skip on this trash.